Total tonnage levels for all UK ports remained level in 2018 compared to 2017 at 483.3 million tonnes handled.
For UK major ports in 2018:
- The UK continues to import more than it exports. A total of 252.4 million tonnes were imported, compared to 130.5 million tonnes exported.
- More goods were moved between UK major ports and the EU than any other region in 2018, accounting for 44% (206.2 million tonnes) of total major port traffic.
- liquid bulk goods, which account for 39% of total tonnage, decreased 5% overall; crude oil handled has more than halved since 2000 to 82.4 million tonnes and continues to fall
- unitised traffic fell to 23.9 million units, after five consecutive years growth
- container units increased to a record high of 6.0 million units
- overall roll-on roll-off traffic fell by 1% to 17.9 million units passing through UK major ports.
Please fill in our two-minute user feedback survey, which aims to make Maritime Statistics better, more informative and more user friendly.